1930: A cathedral style lookout house constructed.
January 4, 1931: (From a story written by E.G. Hayes) "On Steamboat mountain, 28 miles from the lookout described (Sleeping Beauty), one of the newer styles of stations was built this summer, having an eight-foot tower, 18 feet high, with glass walls, and a lean-to 12 x 14, having certain advantages over the former, but the furnishings are no less austere." (The Sunday Oregonian)
August 20, 1953: "Sunday used to be T. L.s day for accidents. Lately its Wednesday. Besides the tire blowup at Tommy's gas station that injured him and Darrell Stoller, Claudia Quackenbush ran a wire in her eye while visiting her sister on Steamboat lookout. Harold Hollenbeck went and brot her in to Skyline at 9 p.m. Then the doctor sent them on to Portland to a specialist. Three stitches were put in and they won't know the extent of the injury till this week when she returns to the doctor." (Mt. Adams Sun)
1956: An R-6 flat roof cab erected on timber tower.
May 7, 1964: "Only six out of 37 lookout stations in Gifford Pinchot National Forest will be manned, according to Ross W. Williams, forest supervisor. Steamboat mountain will be the only manned lookout in Mt. Adams district. The other five are: Red mountain, Wind River district; Lookout mountain, Canyon Creek district; Point 3670, Lewis River district; South Point, Packwood district; and Burley mountain, Randle district. The closure order also applies to 22 out of 27 lookouts in Mt. Hood National Forest." (Mt. Adams Sun)