1923: This site was developed with two fire finders at different points on the mountain.
August 12, 1936: Panorama photos taken.
August 5, 1938: "Myron Halse is stationed at the lookout on Flattop. Mrs. Halse and Lois Elaine are with him." (Mt. Adams Sun)
September 4, 1952: "Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Fiedler came in from their Forest Service lookout at Flat Top and have leased the Melvin Wilson home for the school term. The Fiedlers both are teaching in our school. Forest Couch took over for the rest of the fire season." (Mt. Adams Sun)
August 16, 1962: "The Klickitat County PUD will start stringing power lines this week from the old McCuistion farm north of Hollenbeck's mill, Trout Lake, to Flattop Lookout, a cross-country distance of 3 1/2 to 4 miles. Poles have already been set. Plans call for Flattop to serve as a communications center to contact other lookouts, stations and loggers operating in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. The project is a joint development of the Klickitat County PUD, U.S. Forest Service, State Dept. of Natural Resources and loggers operating in the area. Equipment to construct the line was furnished by SDS and Hollenbeck Lumber companies." (Mt. Adams Sun)
2005: Removed, relocated to the Columbia Breaks Fire Interpretive Center.