Resettlement Administration > Kaniksu > Colville National Forest 36N-40E-34
July 17, 1937: "The resettlement administration has completed 60 percent of the construction of a trail to the top of Old Dominion mountain in preparation to constructing a lookout station on the peak, according to Harry Whiting, head of the local office. The lookout will be a 14- by 14-foot structure built on a 20-foot tower, Mr. Whiting said." (Colville Examiner)
July 16, 1938: A large block of timberland administered by the Resettlement Administration transferred to the newly formed Kaniksu National Forest. (The Colville Examiner)
August 12, 1939: "Dominion mountain is equipped with a tower and one can see a vast amount of country from the mountain top. A good road goes within three miles of the tower. There is a good safe place at the end of the road to park the car and to prepare for the three-mile hike over a good trail through green timber. The trip to the top of Dominion mountain is reported by forest officials to be very enjoyable for those who like to hike." (The Colville Examiner)
1983: The lookout was sold and removed.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - DOMINION PID - TO0854 STATE/COUNTY- WA/STEVENS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - PARK RAPIDS (1992)
DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1933 (FGJ) ON HIGHEST POINT OF ROCKY RIDGE OF OLD DOMINION MOUNTAIN.
TO REACH FROM COLVILLE, TAKE OLD DOMINION MINE ROAD AND GO 10.0 MILES, PASSING MINE BUILDINGS, TURN LEFT OFF ROAD AND GO 0.1 MILE UP NARROW LANE TO OLD RANCH BUILDINGS (THIS TURN-OFF IS JUST BEFORE REACHING SUMMIT OF GRADE OF OLD DOMINION MINE ROAD), FROM RANCH BUILDINGS CLIMB MOUNTAIN TO NORTHWEST, KEEPING ON RIDGES. IT IS A 2-HOUR PACK AND A TRAIL WAS BLAZED AT THIS TIME.