July 6, 1916: "A permanent camp to accommodate six people has been built near the summit of Church Mountain by U.S. Forest rangers. The camp may be used by those who wish to spend the night on the mountain." (The Lynden Tribune)
October 1936: "A five mile one way hike had 125 visitors this season." (Six Twenty-Six)
Activated: March 28, 1942; Deactivated: October 16, 1943. Bellingham Filter Center.
The NGS Data Sheet
STATION RECOVERY (1935)
RECOVERY NOTE BY INTERNATIONAL BOUNDARY COMMISSION 1935 ON THE HIGHEST POINT ON THE WEST END OF CHURCH MOUNTAIN, A WELL-KNOWN MOUNTAIN ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE NOOKSACK RIVER ABOUT 5 OR 6 MILES UPSTREAM FROM THE TOWN OF GLACIER, WASHINGTON. THERE IS A GOOD HIGHWAY UP THE RIVER AND THE STATION IS BEST APPROACHED FROM IT.
STATION RECOVERY (1939)
RECOVERY NOTE BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1939 (JN) ON THE HIGHEST POINT OF CHURCH MOUNTAIN NEAR GLACIER. THE DESCRIPTION IS CORRECT. IT IS BEST REACHED BY GOING UP THE TRAIL TO CHURCH MOUNTAIN LOOKOUT OF THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE. IF IT IS GOING TO BE OCCUPIED WHEN THE LOOKOUT IS NOT IN USE, IT WOULD BE BEST TO GET THE KEYS TO THE LOOKOUT SO IT CAN BE USED TO STAY IN. THE STATION IS ON A PEAK A LITTLE SOUTH OF THE LOOKOUT.