September 7, 1933: “L. E. McKay is building a new lookout on Salmo mountain.” (The Newport Miner)
1964: A R-6 flat roof cab was constructed atop a 10-foot treated timber tower.
June 26, 2018: "Damaging Government Property - On 6/26, an LEO on the Newport and Sullivan Lake RDs investigated significant damage caused by unknown individuals at the Historic Salmo Lookout Tower. With assistance from additional law enforcement agencies, the LEO identified four suspects. Upon being contacted, the four suspects admitted to causing the damage which included 46 broken window panes. An assessment determined the total cost for repairs was approximately $11,300. The case was submitted to the U.S. Attorney’s Office." (Law Enforcement Report)