May 23, 1931: “Spur lines will be constructed this summer to Vulcan mountain, Buckhorn mountain, Flagstaff mountain and Flat creek. With these new lines and increased detection it is the object to reduce the discovery time on fires.” (The Colville Examiner)
1952: "A 50-foot tower with a 14'x14' cab erected." (Annual report, Forestry Division)
1958: The Air Force acquired 50+ acres by leases with several private parties and a license from the County for road access.
1959: The radar gap filler station was completed, the improvements included the control building, radar tower, outhouse, a 4,000 gallon fuel tank and security fencing. This station supported the primary station at Colville Air Force Station.
September 1, 1960: The station was deactivated by the Air Force and was declared excess inventory in October.
September 1961: The work of removing the improvements was contracted.
1971: A 40-foot timber tower with a DNR cab was constructed.
August 2013: The lookout was removed to make way for a communication site. The cab was relocated to Northport.
National Geodetic Survey
DESIGNATION - FLAGSTAFF PID - TO0867 STATE/COUNTY- WA/STEVENS COUNTRY - US USGS QUAD - NORTHPORT (1992)
DESCRIBED BY US BUREAU OF RECLAMATION 1936 (CMB) LOCATED ON ROCK POINT AT THE SUMMIT OF FLAGSTAFF MOUNTAIN, 5 MILES W OF NORTHPORT.
TO REACH STATION, GO STRAIGHT AHEAD FROM W END OF NORTHPORT BRIDGE ON GRAVEL ROAD. AT 1.0 LEFT ROAD FORK. AT 1.3 RIGHT ROAD FORK. AT 1.4 RIGHT ROAD FORK. AT 1.45 PASS SCHOOLHOUSE. AT 1.5 RIGHT ROAD FORK. AT 2.25 LEFT ROAD FORK (SIGN FLAGSTAFF MT.). AT 3.85 THROUGH POLE GATE. AT 4.7 PLANK BRIDGE. AT 5.4 PASS LOG CABIN. AT 6.1 PASS NATIONAL FOREST BOUNDARY. AT 8.65 POINTER ON TREE IN PASS. LEAVE TRUCK HERE AND HIKE UPHILL ABOUT 1/4 MILE E TO STATION.