1914: Site first developed as a heliograph lookout. (See: Tumwater Mountain entry for March 20, 1914)
July 16, 1915: A force of men are employed in building a telephone line to the top of Dirty Face mountain near Wenatchee lake where a lookout station will be maintained. The line is expected to be completed next week." (The Leavenworth Echo)
July 30, 1915: "The Forestry Department has several crews of men at work in this vicinity. A new trail is being built up the Little Wenatchee to Soda Springs and one up Dirty Face mountain where a lookout station has been located." (The Leavenworth Echo)
November 1929: "The lightning connectors were not on Dirty Face Lookout until the next day after the storm, which occurred early in the season. You can draw your own conclusions as to where the lightning started in, from Ranger Kellicut's description as follows: The flag on the 20 foot flag pole about 30 feet from the building was torn to ribbons. The small copper emergency wire, used in lieu of a flag rope, was uninjured down to where it was wrapped around the flag pole some 4 feet from the ground. Here it was slightly burned and the pole badly shattered for about two feet up and down; one of the splinters from the pole was found sticking into the roof of the lookout house. From the base of the flag pole, the lightning traveled some 30 feet through the ground under two piles of rock about 20 feet apart, scattering the rocks in all directions and making several holes of fused soil. Then it jumped about ten feet to a pile of rocks over one of the guy cable anchors, scattered the rocks and traveled up the cable to within about a foot of the tower post to which it was fastened. From here it jumped up through the hip of the roof to the galvanized hip shingles, tearing two of them loose. At the same time, lightning came up the guy cable at the opposite corner of the building, tore off some of the hip shingles and in addition scattered the lookout's store of dried provisions, beans, cereals, etc., in pasteboard containers on a shelf at the corner, all over the room. This was the principal thing objected to by the lookout who was out of the building at the time. The W.B.G. fuse and Vac-M Arrester were in tack but the coil and some of the connections on the howler signal set in the tower were badly burned. Incidentally, he says that in nearly every case, where iron tree pins had been used on the telephone line, near the lookout, the tree insulator was broken. C.M. Allen" (Six Twenty-Six)
August 19, 1934: Panorama photos taken by Robert Cooper.