1942: "The lookout lived in a tent down in a saddle and climbed the rock hanging onto a piece of Number 9 telephone wire. The firefinder was mounted on three wobbly sticks with no room to get around it without knocking it out of adjustment or falling off the butte." (Memoirs, Harold C. Chriswell 1933 to 1971 - U.S.F.S.Dept. of Agriculture)
1943: A wood 14x14 standard R-6 plan ground house was constructed on the Shelton Ranger District. Also a 10x14 wood shed and an open air Wallowa toilet installed. (Lookout Station - Structural Inventory)
September 22, 1943: The station, 'Charlie 0-2,' was inactivated. The station was of all new construction built on National Forest lands. The Forest Service erected the lookout structure and necessary out buildings, the AWS funded the construction of the 10' x 14' cabin. At the end of service the site was retained by the Forest Service for the detection of forest fires.
July 2, 1964: "Anderson Butte Lookout is now being manned." (Shelton-Mason County Journal)
September 17, 1964: "Anderson Butte Lookout closed down last Sunday until next season, and on September 11, humidity at the lookout station dipped to 33%, the lowest all summer. Highest temperature recorded there was a moderate 71 degrees--temperatures averaged in high 40's all season." (Shelton-Mason County Journal)